The seven causes of cravings, part 4 gut imbalance
Cravings can be a sign that your body is out of balance. When you are struggling with cravings for sugar, carbs, salty, crunchy foods you may want to think about a gut imbalance.
We naturally have trillions of good and bad bacteria residing in our intestines happily. The key is balance. Once out of balance outward signs appear. The most common signs are:
- skin issues(dermatitis, eczema, acne)
- digestive issues(gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, reflux)
- allergies and sensitivities
- mental changes(depression, anxiety, brain fog)
This imbalance is called dysbiosis.
What is dysbiosis?
Dysbiosis is driven by three different reasons:
- Bad bacteria overcrowding good bacteria
- Not enough good bacteria
- Not enough diversity
You can have one or all three.
Gut bacteria and craving connection
In the British Journal of Nutrition 2012 they found sweet loving bacteria thrive by changing taste receptors increasing sweet cravings. When gut bacteria have gone rogue, you have a difficult time saying no.
Tune in to learn more about cravings and gut health.
If you’re struggling with cravings…
Are you struggling with cravings? Consider working with a functional nutrition professional to get to the root cause and leave no stone unturned.
I’d love to work with you! Check out my packages and schedule a time for a FREE chat.
Your future health awaits…
1:00 What is dysbiosis and the symptoms
2:00 Gut bacteria and craving connection
4:00 Studies explaining the craving and gut bacteria connection
Listen, Learn, Enjoy…
References & Links:
- How gut bacteria tell their hosts what to eat
- Up-regulation of intestinal type 1 taste receptor 3 & sodium glucose luminal transporter-1 expression and increased sucrose intake in mice lacking gut microbiota
- Beneficial metabolic effects of a probiotic via butyrate-induced GLP-1 hormone secretion
- Increased oral detection, but decreased intestinal signaling for fats in mice lacking gut microbiota.