In this episode of The Gastric Health Show, we discuss common causes of both heartburn and re-flux after gastric bypass and gastric sleeve surgery.
What you will learn by listening to this podcast…..
- You will understand why these common side affects are closely associated with the volume of stomach acid produced within your gastrointestinal tract.
- Your new “pouch” produces much less volume of stomach acid compared to your much larger stomach.
- After weight loss surgery, low stomach acid is often the cause of heartburn and re-flux.
- If you are experiencing heartburn or re-flux and have been prescribed a protein pump inhibitor (PPI) medication such as Nexium or Omeprazole. You need to schedule an appointment with your Doctor or Surgeon and ask them to check for Low Stomach acid as the cause of your symptoms.
I hope you enjoy the show. Your future health awaits…
1:40 How to know if you have low or high stomach acid.
3:10 Learn about the acid content of the pouch after RNY & Sleeve surgery.
4:40 What makes stomach acid.
6:00 Why do most feel better taking a PPI even with low stomach acid.
7:00 What is IAP and what foods cause it.
10:40 How bacterial overgrowth arises with both Gastric Bypass & Gastric Sleeve.
13:00 How to fix an impaired gut function after WLS in 5 steps.
Listen, Learn, Enjoy…
References & Links:
- “Effect of Hydrochloric Acid on Iron Absorption”
- “Prospective evaluation of gastric secretion and cobalamin absorption following gastric bypass for clinically severe obesity”
- Heidelberg Medical Gastric pH diagnostic System & pH capsule
- Why Stomach Acid is Good For You, by Jonathan Wright, M.D. and Lane Lenard, Ph.D.
- The Parietal Cell: Mechanism of Acid Secretion
- The Evolution of Stomach Acidity and Its Relevance to the Human Micro biome DeAnna E. Beasley, Amanda M. Koltz, Joanna E. Lambert, Noah Fierer, Rob R. Dunn